I honor of my Dad, half the reason I am alive today (it’s all about me after all), I thought I would show you a few pictures and tell you a few facts about this day in history.
On Dad’s birthday across various years, the following interesting things happened:
- 1992 10,000,000 cellular telephone sold
- 1960 Tinseltown dedicated its Walk of Fame on Hollywood Blvd
- 1945 Most U.S. wartime rationing of foods, including meat and butter, ends
- 1942 Japan bombs Port Darwin, Australia
- 1942 A German U-boat sinks the S.S. Ben Lomond off the coast of Brazil. One crewman, Chinese second steward Poon Lim, is separated from the others and spends 130 days adrift until he is rescued on April 3, 1943
- 1936 Life magazine hit newsstands
Sometime in the middle of all of that, my Dad was born. I won’t give you all the details since he wouldn’t want all of the phone calls wishing him a happy birthday…well, he might like the calls but he wouldn’t like the number of spanks on his butt that he’d be owed.