Cabbage was done so we started a batch of sauerkraut yesterday morning. Emily’s granddad picked the cabbage
and her grandmother and I shredded 6 heads. Our recipe said to work with 5 lbs of cabbage at a time so we shredded and weighed it head at a time. Kraut is really simple to make…or at least set up. We had a few stone crocks into which we packed 1/3 of the 5 lbs of cabbage, followed by 1 tbsp of salt. I rolled the salt and cabbage together in the crock until it was mixed and the water was drawn out of the cabbage. We repeated until we had 10 pounds of cabbage in the crock. It as amazing how much water was stored in the cabbage. By the time we got 10 lbs in, water covered the cabbage and had allowed the cabbage itself to pack down significantly. We put a plate on top of the
cabbage and weighed it down with mason jars full of water. I will check it every day for 3-4 weeks to remove scum that may buildup. Our basement is 75 degrees which should allow the cabbage to ferment pretty quickly. We’ll (hopefully) have good kraut to can at the end.